Monday, January 13, 2014

Travel Tuesday - The Date an Ancestor Left for America


Sailing the English Channel near Le Havre

















This blog post is different from most.  Rather than writing about the  social customs of the people of the Saarburg Kreis, I switched gears for this one time.

My average blog post has about 25 hits shortly after it is posted.  These probably come from followers who are interested in all aspects of German culture. Then, depending on the subject of the piece, numbers increase as a subject is searched and one of my posts is thought to have potential to give the information needed.

Until last year, my posts about the customs of Christmas in the Rhineland area, especially about Knecht Ruprecht, the not-so-kind companion of St. Nikolaus, were the most popular. As you can tell from that last sentence, I do check my statistics which are calculated for me each day by Blogger.

Last year a new blog post began to receive a surprising number of hits. I had written a piece about the Port of Le Havre, describing the struggle to reach the port and then find a place to wait for the ship as it arrived, usually with merchandise from the last country visited.  Often the hold of the ship was refitted for a new cargo - the emigrants. Almost every day, that particular post about Le Havre had more views than any other post and so it continues. In addition, the comments were more numerous than any other post I had ever written.  Do not let any genealogical expert tell you that Hamburg and Bremen are the only important ports for German immigrants.  Le Havre saw an enormous amount of Bavarian, Swiss, Austrian and Rhineland immigration.

One of those comments left on the Le Havre blog post asked if I had any information about the amount of time it took for a ship to reach New York after it left Le Havre. It was the same question that had bothered me many years ago - before the days of the Internet search and all the data sources on Ancestry, Roots Web, etc. I set out for the Wisconsin Historical Society Library to try to find additional information on the ocean voyages that brought some of my ancestors to the port of New York. I knew the names of two of the ships - the Rattler and the Albion - their dates of arrival, and their ports of departure. What I didn’t know was the length of the voyage and the registry of the ship. That information was not required on the form for ship arrivals which each ship captain submitted.  Thus, it is also not on the microfilms of “Registers of Vessels Arriving at the Port of New York from Foreign Ports.”

My German Bohemian ancestors’ ship, the Albion arrived in New York in August 1856 (with Elizabeth and Anton Luniak and their children).  On May 9, 1861 (with Magdalena and Johann Meier and their children aboard) the ship Rattler reached New York's port. The Luniaks were arriving from Liverpool and the Meiers from Le Havre. There was no clue to tell me when either of those ships had set sail.

I tried another route but none of the published books about sailing ships, some with pictures and good descriptions of immigrant ships, listed the ships on which my ancestors sailed.  If a wonderful library like the Wisconsin Historical Society's library, holding records and books from every state east of the Mississippi, could not help me; there was nowhere else to turn without a trip to Europe, or so I had begun to think.

Then I took the step I should have begun with.  I asked the reference librarian if he could point me in the right direction. "Did they arrive after September 18, 1851?" he asked. When I said yes, he told me to look at the front page of the New York Times newspaper.  I know I gave him a confused stare! To my surprise, I learned that ships arriving at the port of New York were always reported there, giving details such as country of registry, the owning company or individual, the port of departure, the length of the journey and the type of cargo. In addition, the listing sometimes gave other details about the voyage. Here are the entries I found for my two ships:

May 9, 1861 - “Ship Rattler, Almy (the ship’s captain), Havre, 32 ds. (length of trip) with mdse. and 197 passengers to Wm. Whitlock Jr. (the ship’s owner)” This means that they left on the 8th of April in 1861. (Easter was on March 31 so they celebrated the important Catholic Feast Day just one week before they started out for Le Havre).

August 9, 1856 - “Ship Albion, Williams (the ship’s captain), Liverpool, July 11, (date of departure) with mdse., and 621 passengers to Tapscott and Co (the ship’s owner).  July 14 (three days out of port) James H. Simpson, of Newport R.I., fell from the mizzen topgallantyard and was drowned.”  I assume he was a crew member but the newspaper doesn't say so.

By looking at information on other ships arriving from European ports the same day, I learned more about the crossing. I could surmise that the Rattler probably was rocked by storms like other ships in that day’s list since several ships were "in ballast" when they arrived.  This meant that heavy material had to be placed in the ship’s hold to enhance stability. An entry for another ship arriving from LeHavre the same day noted that it was in ballast and that the ship “has had heavy westerly gales for the last 10 ds.” My heart ached for my great great grandmother who was in the early months of her pregnancy.

So if you’ve found your ancestor’s ship in the New York passenger lists, or in Germans to America, and the date is after 18 September 1851, I recommend checking the New York Times Newspaper on microfilm or online to get “the rest of the story.”  The online heading you are looking for is under the "ARCHIVES" tab of the newspaper and the subject you want is "marine intelligence (month, day, year)

Once I had information on the owners, I wanted more information about the shipping companies.  I did a web search.  I learned that the owner of the Albion was the Tapscott Company.  They were described as “systematic villains,” a fact so well know that this was immortalized in a sea shanty, a song sung when the ship was being “warped” out of harbor at the beginning of a voyage. (To find out more about the shipping lines, such as Tapscott, there is good information at "The Ship's List."  Even if your first search is not successful, new information and lists are being added to "The Ship's List" regularly as I found just now when I went back to check for this post.  The passenger list of the ship Rattler, which carried my ancestors, has now been transcribed.  If your ancestor arrived at the Port of New York before September 1851, this site may help you.

A word of warning.  If you are an e-mail subscriber to the free New York Times Newspaper headlines, be aware that your 10 full articles per month are counted whether you click on their e-mail headlines of the current day in 2014 or find a New York Times article in 1861 while doing an on-line search.  I just lost all my free articles for the month of January by checking accuracy of New York Times articles used in this article in the NY Times Archive on line.  Evidently even a headline from May of 1861 meets their restriction criteria.

According to the last comment received on this post, Newspapers.com, a for-profit website, has records for the New York Times going back at least as far as 1832.  That is where a reader of this post found the arrival of her ancestors' ship.  I thank her very much for taking the time to share the information.






  

18 comments:

  1. My Meyer family arrived on Sept. 29, 1849. Am I right that Castle Garden did not yet exist then. I am finding your blog very interesting and informative. My Meyers came from Alsace and would later marry into the Uelmen who came in 1858 family from Strohn, Germany in the Mosel River valley. And also would be living in Wisconsin although the Meyer group first started out in Lewis county, New York

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Margaret. You are right. Your Meyer ancestors who came in 1849 had no Castle Garden to go to. They had to make their way with no help from any government-type agency. It was rough going, especially since the people who spoke German and offered help were often swindlers who charged far more than necessary for rooms and transportation west. Some of them just took the money and gave nothing in return. I hope your ancestors (and my Probst family) fared better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! My 2nd Great Grandfather arrived on Jan 27 1855 and I was trying to find the length of the voyage from LeHavre to New York. Your tip about the NY Times archive was priceless since I quickly found the Ship Mercury and learned the voyage length was 30 days, which explains why they are showing as departing Germany in 1854.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:49 PM

    I have found that Newpapers.com has records going back further than the 1850s. I was just able to find a record of the arrival of my ancestors' ship in the New York port in 1832.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you LadyDanio. I will update my post with this information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Martina7:32 PM

    Thank you for the informative artice on the travels of our Ancestors. My Great-Great Grandfather and his family came over on the Rattler May 9, 1861. Peter Schuster & Marie Schuster. Learned alot!
    Martina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge on the Port of LeHavre and what it was like waiting for departure. I have an ancestor who sailed to New York from there and I am branching out of indexed records for the first time to try and figure out what his journey was like. It is so nice to learn more than names and dates - I can't thank you enough for sharing your knowledge! I am very excited to find out his date of departure by using this tip. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Jessica. I agree with you - I, too, started with names and dates but the ancestors took on so much life when I learned all the personal history that surrounded those names and dates.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so very much for your countless hours of research that has made it possible for individuals as myself to read and be given answers to our many questions and or to help ys break down the brick wall. I enjoyed reading your research on the Port at Le Havre, France. My 4x's Gt. Grandparents the Delotel/Delhotel family with their 10 children on the ship Viola arriving in the Port at New Orleans 03 Aug 1847. I have found no pictures of the ship Viola up to this date. Any suggestions? Thank you once again for your priceless information that I can now add to my ancestors history.
    Rosrmary McIntosh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment, Rosemary. I wish I knew what to suggest but unless the ships were photographed, it is pretty hard to find a picture of them. I never have found any of mine and some came 20 years later than yours. I hope some day the Viola picture turns up for you.
      Kathy

      Delete
    2. I've been researching my husbands family as a surprise and I found the Freyler family came to new york new york out of Le Havre in 1907. I can not find much from that date and most papers I see says they were from Hungry. How do you locate a ship from that year. Also does a sur name mean they changed the original last name?

      Delete
  10. Nice to hear from you Jessica. I'm not sure how to answer your questions because I don't know what you've already searched to find the ship. It sounds as if you have not found the name of the ship and that is what you are looking for? Why not send to my e-mail address with more detail on your questions. I will be on vacation starting next week so I may not be able to answer immediately but when I have a better grasp on your question, maybe I can help.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Helpful article! That librarian, and you, gave me much-needed information. I now have the departure date from le Havre. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Helpful article! That librarian, and you, gave me much-needed information. I now have the departure date from le Havre. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for your comment. I'm so glad it helped you find what you wanted to know.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kathy,

    Just reading your post, I looked at a book and is your family: Johann Meier 35 yrs came with Magdalena Rauls 33 yrs, Children: Mathias 11 yrs old, Anna 9 yrs., Johann 3 yrs, Michel 15 mths old. 05 Mar 1861

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Johann and Magdalena are my 2nd great grandparents. This past year I wrote a novel based on her earlier life in Oberzerf, Germany, HOUSE OF JOHANN.

      Delete