|Getting near to hallowed ground in 2004|
No. 4091- Barn House of Matthias Meier in 1829, future home of Johann Meier and Magdalena Rauls Meier
|Remains of the Barn House of Johann Meier today|
|Diagram of the Barnhouse of Johann Meier in Irsch|
Also notice the size of the stall area and the storage barn, (Stall und Scheune) compared to the size of the family's living quarters.
There was also a diagram for the walls and roof of the house. You can see that in the last remodeling of the barn area; that is, the stable and storage, the top of the roof was reshaped and now has the flatter roof one can see in the current photo taken in 2011. Before that time, there was a second floor for the living quarters. A little more than a year before they applied for permission to come to America, Johann and Magdalena Meier had five children, and it is likely that Johann's father Matthias and his unmarried uncle Michael also lived in the house with them.
|view of the buildings from the main street|
|The living quarters faced the side street off of the larger main road|
The building that was left behind saw its worst time in 1945 because of its unfortunate location near the German defense line set up to stop the invading WWII Allied troops if they managed to cross the Saar River.
|American GI walks where once Johann and Magdalena lived|